The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
The Dog’s Uncanny Love for Chocolate
The very first time my dog got a whiff of chocolate, he seemed to love it. This chocolate-loving dog later became popular due to his love for this sweet food. But, unfortunately, chocolate isn’t the best snack for dogs.
Why Can’t Dogs Eat Chocolate?
Chocolate is toxic for dogs due to a chemical in it called theobromine, which is poisonous for them. Dogs can suffer from acute gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. The more chocolate your dog eats, the more severe the symptoms of poisoning may be.
To find out how much chocolate your dog can safely eat, you can use this handy calculator from Vets Now.
What Happens If A Dog Eats Too Much Chocolate?
The dog’s heart rate will increase.
The dog might feel uncomfortable and may vomit.
The dog might have diarrhea.
The dog might act lethargic, uncoordinated, or hyperactive. This could be indicative of an issue with their brain chemicals.
How to Prevent Dogs From Eating Chocolate
Some people are more prone to having their dogs eat chocolate because it is in the house, while others are not. Some dogs will want to eat it because of how it smells, while others will feel compelled to eat it because of the taste.
Here are some ways you can prevent your dog from eating chocolate:
Keep all of your candy and chocolate high up or put them away in cabinets that the dog cannot reach.
Give your dog some healthy treats like meat or cheese instead.
Only give your dog a few pieces of chocolate on holidays like Halloween, Christmas, etc.
It is important to keep all candy and any other kind of food that contains sugar away from your pet at all times!